Killing The Biggest Assumptions About Household Mold With Facts

If you ignore leaks in your home the water will cause damage in areas of your house that you cannot see. Click here to learn what to do.

Killing The Biggest Assumptions About Household Mold With Facts

Killing The Biggest Assumptions About Household Mold With Facts

12 December 2016
 Categories:
, Blog


There is one four-letter word that can strike fear in the heart of just about any homeowner: mold. It is ugly and dangerous and homeowners know that some forms of mold could endanger their home, their belongings, and everyone in it. There tends to be a lot of conversation about it. Unfortunately, this has led to some pretty major assumptions and misconceptions. Here is a quick look at a few of the most common assumptions homeowners tend to have about mold and the actual facts you need to know. 

Assumption: Bleach is the easiest way to get rid of a mold problem for good. 

Fact: You find some ugly mold growing on the walls of your basement, so you grab a gallon of bleach and get to work because this stuff kills everything, right? Unfortunately, this is one of those misleading assumptions that can get you in trouble. Bleach is powerful stuff indeed, but it is no match against some of the most dangerous forms of mold. Plus, bleach will simply stay put on the surface of most porous surfaces, like wood or drywall. What will soak in is the water mixed with it. Therefore, by using bleach and water to scrub away mold on the surface, you could just be giving the mold under the surface just what it needs to grow further and spread out. 

Assumption: Most people will have symptoms right away if the mold in their house is toxic. 

Fact: It is true that toxic mold can cause some pretty severe health reactions for some people. For example, children may start to show signs of symptoms similar to asthma if they are in a home with toxic mold. However, it is not always true that symptoms show up right away. Usually the only people in the home who will see symptoms rather quickly are those with lungs that are still developing or those who have pre-existing medical conditions that make them more sensitive to mold spores, such as someone with severe allergies or bronchial defects. Most of the time, it will take a bit before you see symptoms as a healthy adult. 

Assumption: As long as you get rid of the source of the mold and the damage, your home will be fine. 

Fact: This assumption comes from the idea that removing the visible mold and its cause should eliminate the issue. However, mold spores are small and invisible until they start to grow and spread. Therefore, even if you think you are eliminating the problem you see, it does not necessarily mean the problem is completely gone. It is always best to work with a professional to ensure you are actually removing all of the mold. 

About Me
leaky plumbing causing serious home damage

Leaky plumbing can cause as much damage to your home as flooding. If you don't notice the leaks or ignore the leaks that you do notice, the water will continue to cause damage in areas of your home that you cannot see. Unfortunately, I have worked to repair a home that was seriously neglected by the previous owner. There have been some jobs that I have been able to get done myself, while other repairs had to be made by professional damage contractors. This blog will show you how to identify these problem areas, make simple repairs and help you know when to call in the professionals for help.

Tags
Archive